Repatterning Whiteness: Shifting culture from the inside-out
With Laura Levinson and Sosan Flynn
October 13 – Dec 1, 7-8:30pm (no class on 11/24, Thanksgiving)
In person attendance is highly encouraged, but a Zoom option will also be available
Limit of 30 people
We all crave a community that feels like home. For white Sangha members, it is our responsibility to ensure that unconscious expressions of whiteness do not make our beloved community inhospitable to Black, Indigenous, and POC members and participants.
Are you feeling stuck, confused, or at a loss for how to do this? Join us for seven weeks of practice, support, and inquiry with facilitators Laura Levinson of Don’t You Feel It Too? and Sosan Flynn of Clouds in Water Zen Center. We’ll build our capacity for tough conversations through connection to our own bodies and histories. Together, we cultivate deep awareness of the ways colonialism and white supremacy have impacted our bodies at the cellular level, and feel how they continue to show up in our actions and relationships. We are excited to explore the ways in which Buddhist practice can support and amplify our healing and unlearning process. Participants will experience antiracism work as something deeper than shame and guilt. At its core, antiracism work is a practice of love and joy, as we learn to access our full humanity through ending white supremacy. Some of the things we will practice:
- Centering and grounding in our own bodies
- Bringing the practice of the Paramitas into our bodies – Generosity, Morality (precepts), Patience, Effort/Energy, Concentration/Focus, Wisdom
- Giving and receiving apologies
- Verbal and nonverbal listening
- Understanding some of the ways racism shows up in the room
Pay What You Can:
- Patron Level: $1,200 (covers teacher payments, and Clouds admin/staffing, and makes it possible for more people to attend who cannot afford the full amount)
- Value Level: $700 (covers teacher payments and Clouds admin/staffing)
- Basic Level: $250 (covers Clouds admin/staffing)
- Your Level: You choose the amount. No one is turned away due to inability to pay.
Online registration ends 10/11/2022
If you wish to register after 10/11/2022 please contact Sosan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you may not get an immediate response.