Hermitage Practice: Practicing Alone with Support of the Sangha
Friday, April 19, 4 pm to Sunday, April 21, 12 pm
Pacem in Terris Hermitage Retreat Center
26399 State Hwy 47, Isanti, MN 55040
Registration Deadline: April 5.
Pacem in Terris offers a beautiful, quiet, solitary retreat experience to individuals of all faiths. Guiding Teacher Sosan Flynn has engaged in regular solitary retreats there for the past few years. She would like to share this practice with Clouds in Water Sangha members and leaders. The weekend includes an orientation to the space, a dharma talk with suggestions for your time alone, 40-some hours of solitary practice in a one-room hermitage, and a closing council discussion. Pacem in Terris is located one hour north of the Twin Cities, in a wooded area on the shores of Lake Tamarack.
We will begin our weekend with a potluck dinner at St. Joseph’s House. For your stay in the hermitage, a basket of bread, cheese, fruit, and a muffin is provided. You are welcome to bring additional food that can be prepared in a mug, such as granola, instant soups, instant oatmeal, etc. Cooking is not allowed in the hermitages; however, there is a gas burner for boiling water.
There are two steps to registering for this retreat.
- Register here on the Clouds in Water website by April 5th.
- Unless you have visited Pacem in the past, you must call Pacem in Terris at 753-444-6408 by April 5th to complete a short telephone intake. This phone call is a non-optional part of their registration process (for new retreatants). During the call, Pacem staff will brief you on the Pacem experience and verify your contact details and any special needs you may have. When you call, let the Pacem staff person know that you’re with the group from Clouds in Water arriving on April 19.
Space is limited to 16 participants. Register today!
More information about what Pacem does (and does not) offer can be found at the FAQs page of the Pacem in Terris website: https://www.paceminterris.org/experience-pacem/what-to-expect
Sliding Scale (All are welcome. No one will be turned away for lack of funds). Note: both Clouds in Water and Pacem in Terris are donation-based.
- Level 1: $700 – covers teacher payment, Clouds admin/staffing, rental accommodations at Pacem in Terris, and makes it possible for more people to attend who cannot afford the full amount
- Level 2: $400 – covers teacher payment, Clouds admin/staffing, and rental costs.
- Level 3: $280 – covers rental accommodations at Pacem in Terris
- Your Level: You choose the amount. No one is turned away due to inability to pay.
“We know in our hearts that there is a different way to be, a different way to live. Our generosity with one another is indeed resistance to the greed and fear that oppresses us. We provide for one another out of love for each other and love for ourselves. When we give, we acknowledge that all beings want to be happy.”
Online registration ends 4/5/2024.